Meal prep is an excellent way to make sure you have healthy meals available during your busy week, these chicken fajita bowls feature 3 different types of fresh peppers which bring many nutrients to your body. For the nutritional brief let’s focus on the organic red bell pepper.
Nutritional Brief: Organic Red Bell Peppers
Red Bell Peppers are full of nutrients, and one really stands out- Vitamin C. These peppers pack 200% of the daily Vitamin C requirement and this is great news because Vitamin C can help support the immune system, protect against cardiovascular and eye disease. Red peppers are also full of antioxidants like Lycopene, which gives these beautiful peppers their red hue. Lycopene has been credited with helping to prevent cancers of the prostate and lungs.
Zelman, Kathleen M. “Vitamin C Benefits, Sources, Supplements, & More.” WebMD, WebMD, www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-benefits-of-vitamin-c#1.
Daniluk, Julie. “5 Health Benefits of Red Peppers. Plus, Our World’s Healthiest Pizza Recipe.” Chatelaine, Chatelaine, 26 Feb. 2016, www.chatelaine.com/health/healthy-recipes-health/five-health-benefits-of-red-peppers/.
These meal prepped chicken fajita bowls will be a hit at your house and you can be proud that they are full of healthy ingredients including the red bell pepper.
Chicken Fajita Bowls
- 3 cups Lime-garlic brown rice see recipe below
- 1 can Seasoned black beans drained but not rinsed
- 1 Lb. Organic chicken breast sliced thin
- 1 Red Bell Pepper sliced thin
- 1 Yellow bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 Poblano pepper sliced thin
- 2 cups romain lettuce shredded
- 1 Tbsp Fajita Seasoning I use one from SavorySpice.com
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese Blend I use Organic Valley
- 6 packs individual guacamole I bought these from Publix
- 1/4 cup lime juice try to use fresh
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1. Combine the olive oil, fajita seasoning, and lime juice. pour over the chicken and let marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. 2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. 3. Add the peppers and onion stirring frequently until lightly browned and tender. Set the peppers aside and wipe out the pan.4. Add a small amount of oil to the pan.5. Add the chicken stirring frequently until cooked through, remove the chicken and set aside. 6. Combine the black beans, rice, chicken, cheese, and pepper/onion mix and divide among 6 bowls.7. Put the shredded lettuce into small plastic bags and place in the bowl. 8. Add the guacamole packs to the bowls.9. To eat, remove the guac and lettuce and heat until warmed. Then add the guac and lettuce to the bowls and enjoy!
Garlic-Lime Brown Rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1.5 limes Juice
- zest of one and a half limes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves organic garlic minced
- 1. To prepare the rice heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for 3 minutes until tender. 2. Add the garlic and brown rice and stirring frequently for one minute. 3. Add the rice mix to a rice cooker with along with the chicken stock, lime zest, and juice. 4. Turn on the brown rice setting and cook. When it is finished fluff and set aside.
Tags: Meal Prep